comprehensive eating disorders treatment program
highly attuned eating disorders treatment
Galen Hope provides highly attuned eating disorder treatment that’s focused on helping each patient evolve into an anchored foundation in which their relationship with food is based on:
- the principles of mindful eating
- personal empowerment in response to our diet-focused, weight-oppressive culture
We work with each patient to move toward internal regulation of food, mindful movement, and self-care in nourishment of body, mind, and spirit.
we work with all forms of eating disorders and we embrace size diversity
At Galen Hope, we strive to interrupt the progression of an eating disorder, to provide care sufficient to avoid the need for a higher level of care, or to assist clients who are stepping down from a higher level of care. We work with all forms of eating disorders and with people of all sizes, and we embrace the idea that self-compassion, mindfulness, and self-care are vital to healing from the devastating impact of eating disorders.
Galen Hope is particularly suited to those who do not “fit in” with the traditional services provided by the majority of programs that currently treat eating disorders, or whose life circumstances require a more individualized approach. These individuals include those with:
- Adults and adolescents with anorexia nervosa
- Adults and adolescents with bulimia nervosa
- Adults and adolescents with binge eating disorder
- Primary OCD that impacts eating behavior
- Children under 14 with anorexia nervosa, bulimia, or binge eating disorder
- Exercise addiction
- A history of treatment for eating disorders at the residential or outpatient level of care who have plateaued
All eating disorder cases will be evaluated by the admissions department and the clinical team to determine whether our program is an appropriate setting for your care.
principles of nutrition at Galen Hope
All foods fit:
- All foods have the ability to provide nourishment.
- Being present in the eating experience, non-judgmentally.
Connecting with our bodies, and listening to its signals.
Honoring body diversity:
Health comes in many shapes and sizes.
our nutritional approach
The nutrition philosophy at Galen Hope is grounded in mindful and intuitive eating, and regaining a connection with body cues regarding hunger and fullness that may have been lost along the way. In addition to ensuring that our clients receive the nutrients they need to nourish and sustain their physical health, we seek to help them achieve a sense of emotional peace around eating and body image.
Meals at Galen Hope are prepared by our private chef and served in a family setting. Meals emphasize a variety of tastes, textures and cuisines, as well as make room for client preferences. Clients with eating disorders receive personalized meal plans based on their medical, nutritional, dietary and cultural needs.
We eat together as a group, to rekindle the happiness and sense of connection that comes from sharing a meal with others. We focus on becoming more attuned to their body’s natural cues and taking pleasure in eating nutritious, nourishing food.
treatments and therapies
- Individual nutrition therapy with a registered dietitian
- Weekly nutrition groups
- Family nutrition coaching
- Pre- and post-meal process groups to ground clients in mindful eating principles and body awareness
- A systematic approach to increasing nutrition freedom, such as portioning, regulation, movement level, based on client’s insight, process, and stage of change
- Exposure therapy, including restaurant outings, grocery shopping, life skills development related to food preparation, and family meal support
co-occurring mental health diagnoses
Eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and binge eating disorder often don’t occur on their own. Often, individuals with an eating disorder have other mental health disorders, such as such as depression, anxiety, self-harm, OCD, borderline personality disorder, or a past history of trauma. Studies show about one in five people with an eating disorder will also develop a substance use disorder at some point. Galen Hope offers comprehensive treatment for mental health disorders as well as eating disorders. If you are struggling with more than one condition, we can help.